Beschrijving van de vacature
Friends of the Earth International (FoEI) is the world’s largest grassroots environmental federation with 74 autonomous member groups around the world. FoEI aims to ensure that the struggles and experiences of local communities – especially those most affected by unsustainable development – are brought to bear on policies and practices at national and international levels. We focus on four program areas: climate justice and energy, forests and biodiversity, food sovereignty, and economic justice. Our vision is of a peaceful and sustainable world based on societies living in harmony with nature.
FoEI’s decentralized and democratic structure allows all member groups to participate in decision-making. We are governed by our member groups, which are organized in regional structures and come together every two years to vote on issues facing the federation. Between meetings governance is provided by an elected Executive Committee made up of representatives from our groups. A small International Secretariat, which coordinates communications work for the federation, is based in Amsterdam.
FoEI is seeking to add to its communications team, which currently consists of a Communications Coordinator, a Real World Radio coordinator and a Technical/Digital Coordinator. The Communications Officer will be responsible for editing and uploading content to the FoEI website, working with the comms team on improving existing content, writing op-eds and press releases, sourcing images, coordinating the translation of content, writing and promoting FoEI, Real World Radio and member groups’ content on social media and around the federation.
The Communications Officer will be responsible for press work as a priority, but the role is not solely press, so candidates must be prepared to work across all comms disciplines. As such and as a member of a small team, the Communications Officer will be expected to help out with multiple comms needs including project management and campaign specific comms strategies. The role will entail some evening and weekend work.
- Create, write, proofread, and edit communications products (blog posts, news stories, op-eds/opinion pieces, case studies, social media posts);
- Create and implement comms distribution plans for all content including FoEI, Real World Radio and member group content;
- Communicate comms work with the federation largely using email.
- Support communications aspect of rapid response work;
- Project manage comms products from inception to implementation with member groups, international program coordinators and other structures;
- Coordinate translation of all comms materials into three languages- FoEI communicates in English, Spanish and French;
- Prioritize press work as and when needed: drafting and editing press releases, sending press releases out via a media database, publishing and promoting press releases on the website and social media and building relationships with journalists and media outlets;
- Work closely with the communications and Real World Radio coordinators to prioritize comms work and demands;
- Contribute to communications strategy development for our program areas – climate justice and energy, forests and biodiversity, food sovereignty and economic justice;
- Travel and comms support at United Nations and other relevant events.
- At least two years experience in a similar position;
- Excellent written English and proofreading and editing skills (including researching and extracting good content from reports, campaign materials or external sources); fluency in Spanish or French would be highly beneficial;
- Ability to work in collaborative decision-making processes in a global, decentralized environment;
- Ability to use content management systems (FoEI uses WordPress) to post content;
- Understanding of and experience with content distribution;
- Knowledge of and experience using social media, in particular Twitter and Facebook, for media work and advocacy;
- Knowledge of trends and tools for digital storytelling and content marketing;
- Basic analytics skills – such as using Google Analytics and social media monitoring tools to identify high performing content and lesson learning;
- Knowledge of and experience with SEO for content performance;
- Affinity with Friends of the Earth International’s vision and mission;
- Experience with communications strategy and tools for political and mobilization purposes;
- Ability to research, understand and use new tools (for example CMS, databases);
- Expertise in a related field, such as:
- Press work: building relationships with journalists and pitching content to media outlets, writing a good press release.
- Graphic design: basic use of photo shop and/or Indesign to produce basic social media visuals.
- Image sourcing and basic image resizing and retouching.
- Video editing or production.
- Publications management.
- Audience research.
What FoEI offers:
- We offer an opportunity to contribute to a better world and work for an inspiring international and culturally diverse network in an office with a small friendly team at a great location in Amsterdam.
- Full time salary between € 3,115 and € 3,665 monthly depending on experience and qualifications.
- Contract duration: 1 year initially, to be renewed upon positive performance evaluation.
- Participation in collective pension arrangement compulsory.
Please send your letter and CV by 11 January 2019 to Amelia Collins.
E-mail: email@example.com with ”Communications Officer” in the subject field.
We will hold interviews on Wednesday 23 January 2019.
Friends of the Earth International is an equal opportunities employer and committed to building a culturally diverse staff. We encourage applications from people currently under-represented in the environmental justice movement, and particularly in senior positions, including: women; people of any ethnic, social and religious background; lesbian, gay, bisexual & transgender people; people living with disability.
Please note that, in compliance with GDPR, we will keep your application in our protected files for a maximum of four weeks after the successful closure of this vacancy.