Performance Based Financing (PBF) Data Expert
Beschrijving van de vacature
Cordaid has long been a pioneer in the implementation of Performance Based Financing (PBF) in the health sector. Since 2015, we have been running a PBF showcase project in the Borana Zone in Oromia Region (Ethiopia), in close collaboration with the Oromia Regional Health Bureau (ORHB) and the Borana Zonal Health Department (BHZD). More information about this project can be found online on http://www.pbfethiopia.org.
Building on the success of this project, we were invited by the Netherlands Embassy to develop a proposal for a second Ethiopian PBF project, targeting a substantial part of the Jimma Zone in Oromia Region, for a duration of four years. This project aims at improved health service delivery in participating districts (through independent monthly quantity and quality verification of the facilities), as well as improved governance of health service delivery, and an enhanced health information system. Since we expect this proposal to be approved at short notice, we invite high level and senior professionals to apply for the position of PBF Data Expert.
Please note that this vacancy announcement is conditional and depends on the final approval of the PBF Technical Proposal and budget by the Netherlands Embassy.
Position and Responsibility
The PBF Data Expert will be responsible for the overall data management and data analysis for the PBF project in the Jimma Zone (to be set up), as well as for the existing project in the Borana Zone. S/he will also be co-responsible for the development (together with technical partners) of the appropriate data architecture, thereby contributing to the objectives as formulated in the Technical Proposal and budget approved by the Netherlands Embassy. S/he will be supervised by the PBF Senior Program Manager, and will report directly to him/her as well as to the Cordaid Country Director.
Specific Tasks and Objectives
- During the inception and design phase: co-responsibility to set-up an office in Jimma Zone and set-up a local PBF team, including recruitment and training of the team of PBF verifiers.
- Assist in the training in PBF of all local stakeholders (district authorities, health facility staff and community based organizations, to be identified during the inception phase), with local staff.
- New data systems and tools. In relation to this:
A. Function as the direct Cordaid responsible and contact person for the development and functioning of the (open source) PBF data architecture, ideally to be integrated into DHIS2.
B. Function as the direct Cordaid responsible and contact person for the development and piloting of Blockchain technology to tokenise the outputs of the PBF projects.
- Monitor the progress of the project and the contract with the Netherlands Embassy to ensure that Cordaid delivers the quality outcomes agreed upon, outputs and services as formulated in the approved project proposal. Provide advice on changes and improvements where needed.
- Support the quantity and quality verifications, by ensuring accurate data collection and sound data management. Provide assistance to the verifiers if needed. Monitor the timely generation of quarterly invoices for the health facilities, local authorities and community based organizations.
- Co-responsibility for project Monitoring and Evaluation, together with Cordaid Global Office.
- Support the local actors (verifiers in the Jimma and Borana Zone, local and regional health authorities) in the analysis of PBF data to make informed programmatic and policy decisions.
- Responsibility for the timely generation & presentation of analytical reports on performance and progress of the two PBF projects, thereby also contributing to the (bi-) annual donor reports.
- Together with the PBF Senior Program Manager, function as the direct contact person (and advisor) for the PBF projects towards the Federal Ministry of Health (FMoH), Oromia Regional Health Bureau (ORHB), Ethiopian Health Insurance Agency (EHIA) and Netherlands Embassy.
- Represent Cordaid externally, participate in relevant platforms and fora and partner with relevant stakeholders in relation to PBF, while ensuring alignment and harmonization with the Health Sector Transformation Plan (HSTP) and the Ethiopian National Health Financing Strategy. Important counterparts include the Partnership and Cooperation Directorate (PCD) of the FMoH and the Health Care Financing Advisory Group/Technical Working Group (HCF-AG/TWG).
- In the absence of the PBF Senior Program Manager, temporarily act as Program Manager.
- Perform any other tasks (including daily activities of an administrative and/or organizational nature) which are necessary to achieve the results aimed for, as described in the project proposal.
- Post-graduate degree in (Health) Economics, MBA, Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Public Health or a similar degree.Medical degree with experience in working in a hospital is considered an advantage.
- At least 5 years of relevant working experience, of which at least 3 years in healthcare.
- Sound theoretical knowledge of, and experience in, Performance or Results Based Financing.
- A good knowledge of the Ethiopian health sector is a solid advantage.
- Sound experience in data management, data analysis and/or Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation.
- Experience in the design of data systems and tools, and their subsequent use and management.
- Excellent skills in the analysis and interpretation of both quantitative and qualitative data.
- Strong communication and facilitation skills, including the ability to establish good working relationships, to transfer skills and knowledge, and to provide technical assistance to key actors.
- Fully proficient in the following software applications: Windows, Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint.
- Extensive knowledge of and experience in working with DHIS2, and preferably in SPSS or Stata.
- An excellent command of the English language. Command of locally used languages is a pre.
- Preparedness to regularly travel to the operational areas of the Jimma and Borana Zone.
- A flexible and pragmatic working attitude.
Specifics of station
This is an accompanied posting based in Addis Ababa, with regular travel to the operational areas in Jimma and Borana Zones.
The contract period will initially be for one year starting as soon as possible, with the intention to extend to up to the maximum project running period of four years. We offer a competitive, fair and comprehensive salary and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. A Cordaid contract which a comprehensive insurance cover, social security and pension contribution, a holiday allowance and a 13th month and hardship allowance.
Further information & how to apply
Applications including a motivation letter and extensive CV in English, including the contact details of at least three professional references, should be forwarded on attention of Akiniy Walender before 7 April 2019.
An integrity screening will be part of the application procedure.
Please note that we accept applications through the website only.