Head of Engagement
PAX is the largest peace organisation in the Netherlands. We work to protect civilians from war, to end armed violence and to build inclusive peace. We do this in conflict areas around the world, together with local partners and people who, like us, believe that everyone has the right to a dignified life in a peaceful society.
PAX works for peace
In many countries people are trapped by war, violence hinders daily life and population groups exclude each other because of unsolved conflicts.
Three goals are central to the work of PAX:
- Protection of civilians against acts of war
PAX protects civilians against acts of war by giving these people an active role. They provide valuable information about the violence they experience, what the existing threats are and what is necessary to establish peace. PAX amplifies the voice of civilians towards governments, armed groups, (inter-)national organisations and peace missions.
- Ending acts of war
PAX does research into arms trade in countries that violate human rights and approaches those who finance it by appealing to their social responsibility. We work towards the ban of controversial weapons such as cluster munitions, killer robots, and nuclear weapons. Besides this, PAX fights against armed conflict on all levels: local, national, and international. Human dignity must be the principle of (foreign) policy.
- Contributing to peaceful and inclusive societies
In conflict areas, we see civilians building bridges between conflicting groups, creating mutual understanding and improving disturbed relationships. We support these local peace initiatives. This is accompanied by fostering dialogue between different population groups. A peaceful society can only be maintained if everyone has a voice and a say in decision-making, ruling out exclusion and polarization. We are also working towards a solidary society in the Netherlands, together with dedicated civilians throughout the whole country. PAX works with experts, activists and bridge builders. All with the same goal: a dignified life for all in an inclusive society.
PAX is looking for an ambitious, energetic, connecting and campaign minded Head of Engagement to lead the engagement team (communications and fundraising) and, in close collaboration with the management of the organisation, shape the ambitions of the new strategic multi-year plan: Empowering People Building Peace.
You will play a crucial role in ensuring that PAX’s profile is raised. That the amazing stories about PAX’s work get out. That everyone in the Netherlands knows what PAX is doing across the world. You will lead on working with our supporter base and grow it significantly.
You are someone who wants to make a difference and you are looking for new challenges in a rewarding role. You are an experienced communications and fundraising strategist, driven to tell PAX’s unique story. Leading on the organisation’s big ambitions in terms of visibility and fundraising appeals to you. You are the go-getter who will guide PAX to this new phase.
Tasks and responsibilities
- You give inspirational leadership to the fundraising and communication team of about 14 employees in total;
- You are responsible for raising and diversifying revenue for PAX;
- You develop the long-term fundraising strategy;
- You are responsible for the strategic communication policy, the activities in the Netherlands and for fundraising;
- You create and monitor annual plans and budgets, based on the multi-year plan;
- You identify and create opportunities and possibilities for obtaining funds and subsidies and, in cooperation with programme teams, take care of the preparation and submission of financing proposals;
- Together with the team, you are responsible for internal and external communication, both nationally and internationally, including the implementation of the media policy, the development and execution of online and offline campaigns;
- You are responsible for PAX activities in the Netherlands, such as the annual Peace Week;
- You work closely with your colleagues in the Programme Teams and the Public Affairs Team to strengthen PAX’s visibility and campaigns;
- You are a sparring partner for the board, managers, and staff in the field of communication and fundraising;
- You keep track of relevant developments in the field of communication and fundraising and know how to respond to them;
- You are a team-builder able to nurture staff within your team to achieve their best and ensure the smooth running of the team.
- University degree or equivalent;
- At least 5 years of experience as manager Communication and/or Fundraising;
- Excellent command of the Dutch and English languages, both verbally and in writing;
- Broad knowledge of fundraising opportunities in the Netherlands and internationally;
- Broad expertise in managing (institutional) fundraising;
- Broad expertise in the field of communication in the NGO or relevant sector;
- Experience with public campaigning focussed on lead generation marketing and positioning, experience with CRM;
- Knowledge of public engagement journeys and proven success in brand positioning and corporate campaigns;
- Experience and proven success in brand positioning and corporate campaigns;
- Experience in movement building, mobilizing, and organizing;
- Extensive experience with budgets and financial reporting;
- Endorsing the mission and values of PAX;
- Affinity with the work of PAX.
- Experience in change processes;
- Experience in a similar position in the work field of PA.
To find out more and to apply please click here.