Medior Policy Influencing Advisor – Europe
Are you passionate about creating sustainable palm oil value chains? Solidaridad offers you a challenging job in an inspiring and international setting with the opportunity to make a real difference in the world.
We are looking for a
Medior Policy Influencing Advisor – Europe
Solidaridad envisions a world in which all we produce and consume can sustain us, while respecting the planet, each other and the next generations. We work with all actors in the supply chain, from farmers to multinationals, to ensure the transition to a sustainable and inclusive economy that maximizes the benefit for all.
We are looking for a new colleague in our Policy Influencing team with a special focus on palm oil. The Solidaridad Policy Influencing team collaborates with (policy makers within) governments, multilateral agencies, companies, industry organizations, the financial sector, and civil society organizations (CSOs) to set the agenda, influence policies and propose solutions.
In this role, you will:
- Support one or more Senior Solidaridad Policy Influencing colleagues with their lobby and advocacy activities and play a facilitating role in one of our leading global palm oil & climate programmes
- Communicate about the importance of investing in sustainable palm oil value chains using social media (Linked In, Twitter and Instagram), in panels, during conferences, through blogs, publications etc.
- Influence policies towards a more enabling policy environment for inclusive and sustainable economic development with a focus on building sustainable and inclusive palm oil value chains.
- Communicate Solidaridad’s position externally and contribute to building our visibility amongst policy makers and other stakeholders
- Work closely with the Policy Influencing team and other colleagues to jointly strengthen and expand our existing stakeholder network (companies, CSOs, politicians, policy makers, media etc.)
- Support in convening multiple stakeholders that may have a possible conflict of interest, and facilitate finding common ground
- Provide input to formulate policy advice, and input to advocate for specific policy measures and/or priorities in line with Solidaridad’s strategic plan
- Identify opportunities for bilateral partnerships with companies and CSOs
- You have a minimum of 3-4 years relevant working experience with climate change, landscapes and commodity value chains, in particular palm oil would be preferred;
- You have strong analytical and influencing skills, are service oriented, proactive, enjoy working with others in a dynamic environment, and understand and meet stakeholder needs;
- You have a relevant Masters degree, preferably in the field of environmental / human rights law, climate change/environmental science, agro-food economic/business or development studies;
- You enjoy analysing scientific papers and are able to translate the related insights into summary positions, website texts and recommendations for Solidaridad’s advocacy programme
- Experience with and genuine interest in public communication, policy influencing and advocacy including the use of social media, LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- You have a strong and intrinsic motivation to contribute directly to the SDGs;
- You have the ability to work in an intercultural environment, with stakeholders from different backgrounds and constituencies (corporates, governments, CSOs)
- You are able to engage in discussions with external stakeholders from public and private sector, in order to convey Solidaridad’s position
- You have excellent command (written and spoken) of the English language and preferably at least one other European language. Dutch, French, German, Italian or Spanish would be desired
- You are allowed to work in the Netherlands
- A unique and rewarding job within an inspiring and international setting, starting as soon as possible;
- You will join the Policy Influencing team in Utrecht, and will have the opportunity to work with an innovative and dedicated network of professionals in Europe and across the world;
- A one-year contract with the possibility of extension, 32-36 hours/week;
- Gross salary between EUR 2756,75 and EUR 4430,97, based on 36 hours/week (salary scale BBRA Grade 9 or 10, depending on previous experience);
- An additional holiday allowance (standard in the Netherlands) will be paid to the employee in May of every calendar year. The holiday allowance is 8% of the gross salary earned in the period from 1 June up to and including 31 May, prior to the date of the payment;
- In addition, Solidaridad pays an end-of-year allowance equivalent to 8.3% of the gross annual salary earned;
- Solidaridad offers a non-contributory pension plan;
- Contribution to moving expenses;
- Location: Utrecht, the Netherlands.
Do you recognize yourself in this candidate profile? Then please submit a max 6 slide powerpoint presentation in which you present yourself, why this position would suit you and one idea to strengthen communication on sustainable palm oil in Europe. Please also send us a resume (max 2 pages) in English to firstname.lastname@example.org , and state “Application: Medior Policy Influencing Advisor” in the subject header. The closing date for this vacancy is 31st of October 2021.
Questions regarding working conditions can be addressed to email@example.com or by phone to Karen Werkman, HR, (+31 (0)30 272 03 13). Questions regarding the function can be addressed to Marieke Leegwaterat firstname.lastname@example.org
The selection process will involve two rounds of interviews and may also include practical assignments. Travel costs will be reimbursed. Depending on the location of shortlisted candidates, the first-round interviews might take place online.
A reference check and assessment may be part of the selection procedure.
No agencies please.
Any personal data submitted in an application is treated confidentially and processed for the sole purpose of filling a vacancy, and compliant to the GDPR directive. After the selection process has been completed (upon date of filled vacancy), all personal data of applicants who have not been selected will be destroyed immediately, unless we have your explicit approval to store your personal data for a period of maximum one year.
Solidaridad is an international network organization consisting of eight regional expertise centres located around the world (Asia, South America, Southern Africa, East and Central Africa, West Africa, Central America, North America and Europe), each with their own specific expertise and focus. Globally, Solidaridad works across 13 commodities.
Solidaridad Europe focuses on market development, policy influencing, communications, knowledge management and donor relations. We seek to inspire the private sector, governments, civil society organizations and consumers in Europe to contribute to sustainable economic development.
For more information please refer to our website: http://www.solidaridadnetwork.org.